What is this Class?
- This is NOT a technology class
- This IS a Social Action Class- Social Action is when you DO something about a real-life problem. In this class we use technology to help us solve real-life problems
- Sometimes solving it is making people understand what the problem is
- Sometimes solving it is coming up with an invention
Learning a tool at the same time as doing Social Action
- Find an issue that’s important to you. Think of how you can teach others about it using your tool (technology) of choice.
- MAKE A PLAN WITH ME so your project is doable.
- To learn a tool use one of my lessons, but make it about your social issue
- Find tutorials online
- Your Lego must be about social action
- Everything you create must have moving parts (No simple buildings)
- Label your work in a zip-lock bag
- DO NOT touch other people’s lego projects
- Your lego must be programmed after it is built. You can create your own or modify one you download.
- Your Scratch game must be about social action.
- If you can’t think of your own idea, I have tons of lessons. Your job is to take one of them and change it so it is about a real-life issue. You can also find games on Scratch’s website and remix them.
- Your Filmmaking must be about social action
- Must have a storyboard before filming
- Your SketchUp must be about social action
- Use tutorials I’ve created or find them online
- Your 3D prints must be about social action
- Design the blueprints in SketchUp
- Printing takes many hours so start a new project in the meantime
- Your GarageBand Song must be about social action
- You must have Lyrics pre-written. No freestyling!
The Techbrarian Wiki and Your Blog
- This whole month is about gathering facts and your thoughts about one or more social issues. You will put everything you come up with on the Techbrarian Wiki. Below is a tutorial on how to log in and add your ideas to the wiki:
- When you’re ready to create something, use your blog to update your status each week through pictures, videos and writing.
Music, Videos, and Games:
- This class is about CREATING not CONSUMING. Unless you or your friend have created the media, don’t consume it.
- Don’t count on “your” computer being there
- Don’t count on “your” computer working
- Save your projects to dropbox when possible or email it to yourself
- Come to the first 3 rows for a quick talk
- Leave your computers closed and open up your ears…I dont talk long.
Go to Techbrarian.com
- If you don’t have a game plan, start by going to Techbrarian.com. Click through links about your social issue on the “What’s your Problem” page. You can also look at “Top Blogs”.
- Logout of all your accounts, roll up cords, headphones, and put your laptop back properly